Plaza Home Mortgage, Inc., a national Wholesale Mortgage Banker located in the UTC area, has an excellent opportunity for a full-time Underwriter with our National Correspondent Division.
Plaza Home Mortgage, Inc. was originally founded in December of 2000 to serve the San Diego area mortgage market. Due to our growth and success, we now have branches throughout the United States and we are continuing to grow and expand in anticipation of market demands. Plaza is privately owned and operates as a full service Mortgage Banker.
Plaza’s mission is to become the premier provider of mortgage loans by developing a distinct, sustainable competitive advantage through superior execution of a business philosophy that combines knowledge, technology, and service. Plaza Home Mortgage, Inc. is dedicated to building long term relationships with both customers and employees through quality training, and excellent customer support.
Our ideal Underwriting candidate should be outgoing, hardworking, and maintain high levels of professionalism and ethics.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF JOB AND CONTRIBUTION TO ORGANIZATION:
Responsible for analyzing and evaluating consumer home loan applications and the supporting documentation to assess borrowers' credit worthiness. Types of consumer loan applications include, but are not limited to, Conventional, FHA, VA and USDA residential first mortgages. Is able to recommend approval or denial of credit applications and provide written and verbal decision and documentation to support the lending decision. Individual interact and work well with appropriate individuals including branch operations staff, loan originators, loan processors, and account executives within and outside the company in order to obtain information for the credit decision.
ESSENTIAL TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following job functions are not all-inclusive. The employee will be required to perform other job-related tasks/responsibilities requested by the supervisor. Job duties may change as required by needs of company.
1. Perform mortgage credit analysis, with or without the assistance of automated underwriting system, to determine borrower’s willingness and ability to repay the mortgage debt. Review credit documents for completeness and accuracy.
2. Perform detailed review of appraisal for one-to-four family residential property appraisals to determine acceptability of security for loan programs offered by Plaza.
3. Maintain production goals & standards and the investment quality of loans underwritten with an understanding of industry standards and documentation requirements for loans sold to investors, FNMA, FHLMC, VA, FHA and Ginnie Mae Securities.
4. May underwrite one or all of the following loan types; Conventional, FHA, FHA203k, VA and USDA loans.
5. Must be able to evaluate and analyze income tax returns to establish qualifying income.
6. Is able to act as FHA DE and/or VA Automatic and SAR Underwriter, if not is pursuing these designations.
7. Evaluate risk to ensure a prudent decision is made.
8. Approval authority based on level authority limits authorized by the company.
9. Has the ability to second sign decisions for Level I and II underwriters.
10. May occasionally be required to provide training and mentoring of Jr. Underwriters and Level I, II Underwriters.
11. Partner with sales to ensure mortgage applications are originated efficiently and in compliance with all Plaza Home Mortgage regulatory requirements, especially as it pertains to Underwriting.
12. Other duties as assigned
This position requires a high school diploma or equivalent (a college degree is preferred) with recent Underwriting experience in the mortgage industry and knowledge of the sales of mortgage loans into secondary market. Incumbent must have excellent judgment skills to make quick decisions within written policy and standard operating procedures; working knowledge of loan program products and services, policies, and requirements of a HUD regulated lending institution; the ability to understand and make recommended changes to Standard Operating Procedures; and familiarity with state and federal regulations are required as well as a solid understanding of: HMDA, Regulation Z, Regulation B, the FHLMC, FNMA, FHA rules and processes. Additional qualifications required include excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills; exceptional attention to detail; the capability to multi-task in a high paced environment with heavy volume of transactions. Position also requires proficient knowledge of computer systems including MS Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook) and Internet Browsers; the ability to efficiently and consistently produce accurate work; a solid commitment to customer service; strong organizational and problem solving skills; and the demonstrated ability to work in both a team and individual environment.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter along with their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, please make sure to indicate the position and location you are interested in as the subject of your email.
Plaza Home Mortgage offers a full benefit packet and a great work environment. Please visit us at www.plazahomemortgage.com. Plaza Home Mortgage is an equal opportunity employer.